Monday, July 6, 2020

Rising above Social Media Wars



Online wars and hostile social media exchanges have become a thing of the norm now.  It has become another place where we can find our own triggers, or we ourselves can even be the source of misunderstandings and offences in others. No other time in history, has there been an opportunity for persons of every social stratum to have a voice and feel empowered derived by the anonymity of online access.

Hurting persons has never been such an easier feat. It’s become so very easy to destroy someone’s character by a click of ‘share’ option. Over the past few months, I have grieved like never before due to the intensity of hate thrown about on social media. I have witnessed persons I respected a lot say the most atrocious comments directed at others who held a different viewpoint. More specifically, I witnessed persons whom I regard as close to myself, say stereotypical and derogatory comments about my ethnic group in a quick scramble to make a point. How do we live beyond the post? How can we unsay was said……or rather…posted?

It’s easy to forget that all our data is continuously being archived…every like…every comment…every share….

More than ever, it has become easy to learn about someone by simply searching online. Future bosses also know this and utilise online resources to gauge whether a potential employee’s values and preferences are aligned to a company or management expectations. 


Every decision we make online have repercussions, both directly and indirectly. It’s a popular thing to be Anti-Trump, but sharing these political opinions online are not ideal if you have ambitions to attaining or renewing a US visa, for instance.

Becoming responsible adults means that we are responsive as opposed to being reactive. We have the power of life or death on our fingertips and we need to manage this power well.

Here are some helpful self-searching questions to ask ourselves before posting:

1.      What's my motive in posting this?

2.      Is this content rooted in truth? Is your post something that has actually impacted you or are you just looking to fill space and rise above the noise?

3.      Is this post helpful?

4.      Am I looking for conflict?

5.      Could this post hurt other people?

6.      Could this hurt me? (Short-term/long-term)

7.      Am I reflecting God through this content? If the heart of the content you’re thinking of posting, or the content itself, does not accurately reflect who God is, perhaps you should delete it.

8.     How would I feel about this post in a day? A year? 10 years? If you feel any uncertainty, delete your post. You will be thankful in the future.

9.     What’s my company’s Social Media Policy?

10.   Is this post/comment something I’d be comfortable having my supervisor see?

11.   Is anything I’m sharing confidential or sensitive?

12.   Is this a conversation I NEED to have online?

13.   Is the comment/post aligned to my personal/professional image?

1 comment:

When You are the Big Bad Wolf

I've spent a lot of my life trying to understand why people behave a particular way. I've been accused of constantly looking at the ...