Monday, July 6, 2020

What Being Late Communicates

Being Late costs people money



Part of ‘Adulting’ is taking responsibility for our actions and having fewer excuses.

I once had a pivotal moment listening to an online speaker talk about how a globally renown worship leader in a church, had been chronically coming late to band practices. Eventually, one member of the band was asked to speak to her about it on behalf of the team. She was told that her lateness was communicating to others members of the team that their time was less valuable than hers. It was a life-changing moment for her…and me.

I had never seen it that way, but the reality of it was compelling. We are all allotted time and we all have to responsibly manage that time to get things done.
Working in Port-of-Spain, as a south person, I noticed that the vast majority of persons coming early were from long distances. Yes, it is better for them to beat the traffic and come extra early. However, the point is it could be done. Many of these persons had spouses, children and other responsibilities and managed to organise their lives in order to not go into work late.



Now that I live up north and much closer to work, I am challenged to being early consistently. I am surrounded by people who remind me it can be done.
In the world of work, there is no such thing as fashionably late
There are a number of negative effects of coming late that we oftentimes don’t fail to see. For example, running late tends to put us in a negative mental state where we usually have to catch up to what is going on around us and what is required. This influences a person’s desire to work with you or even trust you with their business or even money. Many times, our co-workers by virtue of them being present may be assigned tasks that were intended for the latecomer (is this really negative??...lol). This can negatively impact working relationships in the long-run if it becomes a habit. Also, sometimes we think coming in within an hour or two window isn’t so bad. However, if you work eight hours a day, one-hour late means that every two weeks, you get a free day off. That makes you a thief and it doesn’t play off well for other employees looking on that are making sacrifices to be early every day. It may also communicate to others that they can’t trust and rely on you and that you are careless and disorganised. It can communicate to others how you view your supervisors and how you view yourself.


Furthermore, it can influence your performance appraisal and influence a not very positive recommendation in the future.
Let’s look at the benefits of being on time.

·        You start off on the right foot- You are given time to mentally settle and better plan your day. You are given some more time to think about your pitch for upcoming meetings in a relaxed setting. You also appear more confident and in control.
·        Being on time communicates that you are trustworthy, considerate, and prepared. 
·        Being punctual establishes a reputation that you are a dependable and consistent worker.
·        It enhances your employability
·        It sustains a good working relationship with your colleagues
·        It can improve your work performance

While I can't boast of always being punctual, I believe that preparing and packing my food, as well as selecting and ironing my clothing the night before work saves me a great deal of time in the morning. It puts me in a better place as I aim towards consistently being early for work.

4 comments:

  1. Always better to be late than never!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I show up early for meetings...unfortunately for cocktail hour I am still fashionably late. Thanks for sharing...after all time is money

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always make I a point to be early especially for work and a lot of times that means picking up work for those who just can't make it on time. It's okay though cause we always reap the benefits of good deeds somehow or the other:) Thank you for this post!!

    ReplyDelete

When You are the Big Bad Wolf

I've spent a lot of my life trying to understand why people behave a particular way. I've been accused of constantly looking at the ...