Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Moisturise! Moisturise! Moisturise!



I must confess that I’ve been that girl who packs her face with makeup and never really takes time to actually care for her skin. I’m certainly paying for that now. I believe that I have enlarged pores and excessively oil-prone areas encouraged by over washing with harsh products.

While I know every person has their own skin type and skin condition also influenced by the environmental conditions in which they operate, I do believe that there are basic routines that can benefit all.

When I was a teenager, there was a lady in my church whose skin was simply flawless. One day I roused the courage to tell and was rewarded by her secret…”Cleanse…Tone…Moisturise…and Moisturise.” While I know many product lines come with products to deal with all three areas, I believe many of us don’t actually follow through on all…especially the need to moisturise!


Why is Moisturising so important?

Skin is our body’s largest organ and demands attention to remain healthy, youthful and blemish-free. Our body naturally functions to moisturise our skin by producing sebum. Sebum is produced by the body’s sebaceous glands, which coats and moisturises the skin and protects it. The face has close to 900 sebaceous glands per square centimetre of skin!

Unfortunately, as a teenager, I was guilty of over-washing my face believing that it would help me with acne. I ended up with my sebaceous glands overcompensating for my dry skin resulting in an overproduction of sebum in the face. Presently, I am faced with challenges resulting from overly oily skin. While I’ve learned that oil-prone skin is beneficial in the long run as it will keep my face supple, it’s a nightmare to keep makeup intact and maintain a fresh, clean look!

The Benefits of Moisturising

·        Protects your body from irritation and dryness
·        Improves cell function and speeded cell turnover
·        Helps protect against environmental damage
·        Slows the signs of aging
·        Soothes sensitive skin
·        Balances skin complexion
·        Can prevent acne breakout

So do your skin a favour and take the time to moisturise. Your skin will reward you later :)

2 comments:

When You are the Big Bad Wolf

I've spent a lot of my life trying to understand why people behave a particular way. I've been accused of constantly looking at the ...